Friday 15 May 2015

Mental Health Awareness Week - My Battle With Depression



I said in a post back in February that I wanted to start including some “real life” non beauty related posts that could be of use to some people, I've sat down and thought long and hard about what I wanted to share with you guys, and from the title you know what I will be talking about.


May 11th marked the start of Mental Health Awareness Week and I thought what better time to share my experiences with mental health issues. I always hated the term “Mental Health Issues”, it made me feel like a freak. I always associated that phrase with strange people that they show you on TV, wearing strait jackets and talking to walls, but the most normal person can suffer with mental health problems. As depression isn’t something you can always tell someone has by looking at them, you’d be none the wiser of the pain someone is hiding. A smile can hide everything, it really can. There are still members of my family that don’t know that I suffer with depression. There is such a stigma attached to admitting you have a mental health problem, and people feel like they can’t open up about the issues they are facing. But more and more each day, people are coming forward and admitting they have a problem and are sharing their stories
                                                                                                         
 
Source: http://www.mieranadhirah.com/2015/01/about-depression.html

This is a post that I have wanted to write for the longest time, I have wanted to write this since last year, when the news broke that Robin Williams had committed suicide after a dreadful battle with depression. I decided to hold off on writing this because the post I had drafted was a very angry post with a lot of cuss words, due to the way people/the media reacted to his situation. Also I wanted to write a more composed, honest and well thought out piece.

A sad as Robin’s story is, I think it is unfortunate that people only pay attention to mental health issues (or any other problems regular people face) when a celebrity falls victim to it, when there are millions of people in the world in distress every day.

Now I know the internet is a place to voice your opinions, but when something tragic happens the cockroaches come out of the deepest of crevices to spout a bunch of BS. A lot of people have said that him committing suicide was a cowards way out and he was selfish. Don’t get me wrong suicide is a very selfish act for the people you leave behind and for the life you could’ve lived if things got better. But as someone who has suffered/suffers from depression I completely understand how he was feeling and why he made the decision that he did. Sometimes you don’t see another way out of this dark hole you’re stuck in. It feels like there is a weight around your ankle pulling you down and you just can’t seem to break free of the shackles. All you want is for the pain and suffering to stop. And you can feel that you not being here is the best thing for everyone. I've had 2 serious bouts of depression and both times I had contemplated suicide, but all I could think when those thoughts crossed my mind is how heartbroken my family (especially my mum) would be and I couldn't do that to them. The best way I can kind of put this is that it wasn't that I wanted to die, but I just didn't want to be here anymore feeling how I was feeling. But I was very lucky because I have a very supportive family who were there for me every step of the way.

Source: http://www.danielfryer.com/depression-do-you-even-have-it/

Depression is a serious mental illness that hundreds of thousands of people have to deal with. I think the NHS description of depression is spot on.

“Depression is more than simply feeling unhappy or fed up for a few days. We all go through spells of feeling down, but when you're depressed you feel persistently sad for weeks or months, rather than just a few days. Some people still think that depression is trivial and not a genuine health condition. They're wrong. Depression is a real illness with real symptoms, and it's not a sign of weakness or something you can "snap out of" by "pulling yourself together". The good news is that with the right treatment and support, most people can make a full recovery.”  Source: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/depression/Pages/Introduction.aspx


People are so quick to throw around the word “depressed”, to the point that when someone says that they’re depressed people assume you’re just suffering from an “off day”. People say they’re depressed because a pair of shoes they wanted is out of stock, or a celebrity crush has a partner, or their parents won’t buy them a new gadget. Those are trivial and shallow things that don’t really matter in the grander scheme of things. The word get tossed around so casually that t it kind of loses effect.

People suffering with real depression can’t get out of bed, don’t take care of themselves, lose interest in things they like, feel like life isn’t worth living and so much more. To know true depression is the darkest, scariest and ugliest feeling in the world. People need to be mindful of the way they speak and of the words they use.

When I was diagnosed with depression I kind of already knew what was wrong with me, I won’t go into details of why I was depressed but I had a lot going on. I knew I needed to go see the doctor because the way I was feeling wasn't good. I was crying all the time, I couldn't sleep properly, I just felt numb to everything. The waiting list for counselling referrals at the time was ridiculously long so my GP suggested taking Antidepressants in the interim. I didn’t find that useful, so I stopped taking them. I found going back to college and keeping my mind occupied and not being stuck indoors all day did me some good. It gave me purpose and a reason to get out of bed in the morning. I was then referred to a young adult’s therapy group, but I did not find that helpful because I didn’t want to open to a bunch of people I didn’t know, I prefer one on one sessions. But for some being in group, being able to relate to others like you can be a great thing. I think I will always be prone to having bouts of depression, but I think I have a better handle on it now. I know the signs and try my best not to let it take over and let my low moods escalate.

What to do if you think you or someone you know has depression

  1. Get help - Speak to your GP and they can advise you on what’s best and get you the help you need. If you can go private I would because you’ll be seen a lot quicker, us brits know the struggle that is the NHS. But if you don’t feel they are taking your concerns serious enough keep contacting them until you get the help you need.
  2. Speak to family and friends - Make someone aware of how you’re feeling.  Depression can make you feel so lonely. The best thing I did was confide in my family and friends. It really helped knowing they were there for me.
  3. Keep busy – I know it can be hard to try and focus on anything but focusing on the good stuff and things you enjoy can be a life saver. Something as simple as going outside and taking in the fresh air and some vitamin D can be calming.

SUICIDE

A percentage of people with depression who get help can end up making a full recovery, unfortunately there is that other percentage of sufferers who go the route of suicide.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that each year approximately one million people die from suicide, which represents a global mortality rate of 16 people per 100,000 or one death every 40 seconds. It is predicted that by 2020 the rate of death will increase to one every 20 seconds. – This is scary and so upsetting that this many people in the world feel they have no other options but to take their own lives.

Beside talking to family or a doctor, there is loads of information/resources online and places to contact for help.


Here is a tumblr post I reblogged that has a list of suicide hotlines for numerous countries around the world. Hopefully your country is listed. If not I’m sure if you hit up google you’ll find something for you.

If you live in England and are contemplating or know someone contemplating suicide get in touch with the Samaritans. They deal with suicide prevention and run a 24 hour service. http://www.suicide.org/hotlines/international/united-kingdom-suicide-hotlines.html


I hope this has been helpful. And please if you or anyone you know is suffering with depression or considering taking their own lives please get help.

Sonya xoxo
Follow Me :)
*all products mentioned were purchased by me with my own money except where marked with an asterisk (*) or stated, everything is my own view and I have not been paid to do this post*


No comments:

Post a Comment